I hear “I don’t know how you do it all” or “when do you have time to…?” ALL OF THE TIME! Yes, I work full-time in Finance and part-time teaching dance, just started a blog, keep up with a house, yard, family, friends, and an unbelievable boyfriend. However, I still make time to get everything (or at least most things) accomplished without sacrificing sleep! So I wanted share my best time management skills with you. Hopefully it will get you on the right track. Do not be confused though, I still know so many lovelies out there that I am in shock over how well they manage life (and secretly can’t stand but also want to be them haha ya know love/hate). Life is busy but it doesn’t have to be stressful!
Here are a few tips:
Pick your best time
- Not everyone can wake up and immediately get that to-do list accomplished. Not everyone can pull all-nighters either! Determine the time frame each day that you are the most productive and able to focus. Then use that time to get tasks done. Instead of using your best time watching tv, use that time to get some things accomplished. You’ll feel much better when you do!
- I have daydreams about waking up early every day, working out, doing my Bible study, and then getting ready for work. HA!!! That’s cute. NO morning person found here!
Have a plan
- THIS IS A MUST! Depending on how God made you, you are either a “fly by the seat of your pants” kinda gal or a “let me check my planner” type. If time management is what you are looking for then try to channel your inner productive self and make a plan to stay on top of your task.
- I am 100% the planner. I would totally have our Thanksgiving meal planned (it’s only July) if the family wouldn’t totally think I have lost it! How do I work full-time, part-time, and keep up with the craziness life throws at me? I plan ahead to get my to-do’s done. I am list maker too and I write EVERYTHING in my May Designs Planner…EVERYTHING! Do not be fooled here, I have moments when I feel like my head is going to spin off of my shoulders and like I can’t possible squeeze another something into this crazy schedule I have. We are all so very different so try different planning options and see what helps you the most! Write out a to-do list, use a planner, add tasks and events to your smart phone calendar…you can do it!
- Sometimes procrastinating is no big deal. “I’ll get to that later” but if you’ve been putting off getting ready for Girls Night at your house (or whatever the event may be) then before you know it you have left everything to get done at the very last minute and you are running around like a crazy person, stressed, probably sassy, and have most likely lost all of your manners. Stop the madness and get your stuff done!
- This can go along with having a plan but what I really mean by “get organized” is remove the clutter. Life is distracting so the last thing you need when you have a million things to do is a bunch of clutter pulling your attention every different direction. Before you try knocking out that to-do list, try getting things put away where they actually belong (this also will help so you are not creating more procrastination). A clear work area helps create a clear mind. For instance, right now I would not have been able to focus on writing this if I had a stack unnecessary mess staring at me!
Set realistic goals
- Think of it this way. If I wrote down all of life’s things that I need to get done this YEAR on one to-do list. Now I have instantly sling shot’d myself into anxiety, head is spinning, I don’t even know where to start, better just take a nap, and I’m all stressed out now! WOW! Instead of forcing that madness on myself, I’ll make a list of ATTAINABLE and REALISTIC goals that I need to get done this week. Doing this will give you a little bit of confidence and keep you motivated. Getting your stuff done gives you a feeling of accomplishment which can keep you sane when stress tries to creep up on you!
Get out there and be productive my friends!
Have any great time management skills that work for you? I’d love to hear your tricks!